Sunday 5 August 2012

Last Name Conundrum

My parents decided in my childhood that I shall have no surname (or lastname, as the Americans call it). Little did they know how, in a flat world, it will make my life a constant struggle.
-----------------------------


Having lived with a last name for over a year in Facebookville, an inescapable appendage in this two-name world, I have finally recovered my pristine identity of Firstname Nolastname variety. Since facebook and several other faceless websites just wouldn't let you progress to the next "field" without filling up a last name, I had no option to assume one, my father's of course.

But after several people commented and asked whether it was the same me (!) I finally decided to challenge Lord Zuckerburg himself. That I did it when his chips (literally the stock of his company) are down and quoting below $20 is no coincidence. Rather than angering a valuable member, on whose shoulders he sell everything ranging from women's perfumes to luxury yachts, paper-clips to cat-food, he quickly succumbed and agreed to let me drop my surname. That I submitted a scanned copy of my passport, signed by a mere section officer of the passport office helped too. Imagine Zuckerburg vs the Section Officer; and who wins? The mighty Babu of the supermighty Government of India.

So friends, here I am, at your service again. The same "Shubhranshu" that you knew all along and not a stranger "Shubhranshu Verma". It is springtime once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment