Thursday 30 November 2017

Call me Mister, Yo Salesman!

I got a call today from a call centre. The caller asked, "Am I speaking with Shubhranshu?"

I said, "No, you are speaking with Mister Shubhranshu."

The caller was stumped for a few moments, stuttered and said, "Of course, Mr. Shubhranshu." Then he went ahead with his monotone selling some insurance policy, or holiday plan or credit card. I don't remember what it was since I had switched off due to his rudeness in addressing me.

These call centre guys and gals are called "executives". Well, they are surely not trained or evolved like executives. I would expect an executive to call me Mister if he calls me in English, or a Ji, if in Hindi, or a Garu or a Moshai, if in Telugu or Bangla respectively. No, Mr. Executive, I am not your friend, nor I am a resident of the US. You may even have a newly acquired American accent drilled into you through some idiotic training plan. I may be a rustic dehati, but show me reverence that a customer deserves. 

You may have the best hotel discounts, the most comprehensive insurance policy or the greatest credit card with complementary lounge accesss at all airports in the world, but do address me with respect if you want to sell your wares.


Else, I am not interested. Don't bother to call me again. I have put you on the Call-me-Mister registry.

1 comment: